Old 07-02-2005, 02:56 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"suspicious minds" writes:

| I have read the site that Franz is on about and indeed it does say that the
| worms for composting can be obtained from your garden. What I think confuses
| Franz is the different types of worms that can be found in the garden. The
| site mentions that tiger worms etc are just fancy names for what are
| commonly known as brandlings (Eisenia foetida) and redworms and can easily
| be collected from compost heaps and under stones etc. It does not say that
| earthworms( Lumbricus terrestis) which found on lawns etc and are commonly
| known as lobworms are suitable for wormeries.I do not have the URL

Er, not quite.

Lumbricus rubellus is called both the redworm and earthworm, even
in the latter term's more restrictive sense, and are (as far as I
know) called tiger worms only by the less reputable sort of worm
farm salesman. The term "lobworm" is more often used nowadays for
the lugworm (Arenicola marina) than any Lumbricus, but used to be
used for the latter. Lumbricus terrestris was also called the
dew-worm or dew-crawler.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.