Old 07-02-2005, 08:54 PM
paghat

In article , "Vox Humana"
wrote:

"Stephen Henning" wrote in message
news
"Suzan" wrote:

Is there a specific word to describe plants that die back for the

winter?
Some examples would be Bleeding Heart, Hostas, Astilbe, etc.

They are herbaceous perennials.

After flowering in early summer, Bleeding Heart dies down, leaving a gap
in the garden. The others usually die back with the frosts of fall.

That's not true of all varieties of bleeding heart, at least not in my zone
6 garden. My dicentra 'Luxuriant doesn't go dormant in the heat as long as
it remains moist and is in a shady spot.

Our native western bleeding heart blooms all summer long & even self-seeds
in somewhat sunny locations & can get a bit aggressive in its spread.

-paggers
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html