Old 08-02-2005, 03:06 AM
Puckdropper

FarmerDill wrote:
Yes you need full sun, and plenty of space. Most folk who have watermelon
problems have them too crowded. Ther are few insects that bother watermelons
once they get established. The striped cucumber beetle will take down.emerging
plants. Squash vine borers do not bother them. There are a few foliar diseases
that you might encounter. They do need sandy type soil and are difficult to
ripen on clay base soil. To much nitrogen or water can be detrimental to
ripening. But I will bet you are crowding them. Those hills should be a minimum
of 10 feet apart for regular melons and 6-8 ft for icebox melons.
Your lastline intrigues me. The only melons I have ever seen that were orange
inside were orange flesh melons. Red fleshed melons tend to white streaks or
pink white flesh when they fail to ripen.

I grew watermelons in NE Indiana last summer. I got them in the ground
as soon as I could and kept them warm with plastic as long as I could in
fall.

Mine were definately too closely spaced. I also began growing them at
one end of the garden. Don't do that... The water melon vines out from
the main plant in at least 4 directions. They like lots of sun and lots
of water, so plant them where they can get it.

Determining if watermelons are ripe is a bit of a trick... You can find
about 10 methods to use on the Internet... (Trust me, I looked ;0))

Puckdropper
--
www.uncreativelabs.net

still enjoy using the old computers. Sometimes we want to see how far a
particular system can go, other times we use a stock system to remind
ourselves of what we once had.