Old 08-02-2005, 02:34 AM
Dwayne

I use the stuff for gardens. It is made from ground up sea shells. The
slugs crawl across it and cut open their undersides. I don't think it will
work for other types of bugs, unless they crawl over the top of it. If it
works other ways, let us know.

Dwayne

"Katra" wrote in message
Dwayne,

Are you using food grade DE or pool grade?
I'm curious if Pool grade DE would work ok in gardens as it is fairly
cheap at pool supply places in 25 and 50 lb. bags.

I'd like to try treating baby squash plants with it as I've been unable
to grow squash or pumpkins due to squash borers. No melons either.
I was going to go ahead and try growing them indoors this year in the
greenhouses since I have the space. We erected the other 2 so now have 4
of them. :-)

How large of a pot should I use for a healthy zuchinni plant?

In article ,
"Dwayne" wrote:

I agree with the rest about it not being slugs, grasshoppers maybe?
There
is a spray aw Wal-Marts that is designed to be used on your edible
produce
that does wonders on cabbage lopers. I bet it would work in your
application also.

My favorite for slugs is diatamatious earth (SP). It is safe to use
anywhere, and is sometimes fed to pets to rid them of worms. It is a
little
pricy and will have to be reapplied after a rain, but it is immediately
effective.

Dwayne

"Joanne & Ned" wrote in message
news
Should I use slug/snail bait or is there an alternative? The asparagus
bed is a few years established, but this is my first year here. I see
spears starting out - but then they get chewed off so I'm assuming
slugs.

Joanne

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
to use mental floss twice a day.