Old 08-02-2005, 02:11 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Dwayne" writes:

| I planted 6 bushes in nutral soil and within two seasons they had all died.
| I tried to add acidic builders to that part of the garden, but it didnt seem
| to help. I wish I knew what the problem was. The books asy that they do
| better a pH of 4.5 to about 6. Ours is 7.5. Let us know how they came out.

Yup. It happens. However, I know people that HAVE grown them in
not-acid soil. I also know other people sho have failed, like you.

It turns out that there are many reasons for acid-loving plants to
like acid soils, and they are all secondary to the 'acidity'. For
example, some calcifuges are quite happy with dolomitic (magnesian)
limestone. In many others, and I think that blueberries are among
them, they can tolerate neutral conditions if they have enough
humus in the soil. That usually means a LOT, so they are often
easier to grow in large tubs.

Note that I am not saying that I know how to grow them in neutral
soil, so much as that I know it is possible if you find the right
trick.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.