Old 09-02-2005, 12:37 AM
Tex John

Yes, growing Ficus outside is better. Mine grow faster, larger (thicker),
greener; the leaves are closer together and the leaves are smaller -- more
in tune with a bonsai look rather than a waxleaf bush in a pot look.

I have two that I can swap out here and there.

I seem to remember a Japanese bonsai book recommended having a number of
trees then just taking one home on the weekend and bringing a new one on
Monday -- not more than a week at a time. Of course he was talking Maples,
Elms and such, not Ficus.

That said, I did keep one of them (Ficus benjamina that is) on my desk with
bright but indirect light only (there were trees in front of the East facing
window) for about 6 months straight before I moved and I still have it three
years later.

Odd thing is, I move them in and out and all around the yard from
half-direct sun to no full sun all the time and they don't drop their
leaves. When I was a kid, just moving them around inside the house would
often result in complete leaf drop. Wonder if keeping them outside helps
with that or if these are a newer 'breed' that they have 'fixed' that in.

John
in Houston

"Billy M. Rhodes" wrote in message
In a message dated 2/8/2005 5:58:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

With the direction the window is facing, It gets direct light
from about 1:00 on.

Light through a window is never the same as outside, some

frequencies
are cut out. As far north as you are the light intensity is also greatly
reduced.

I also have a small fluorescent light I put on it

Unless the light is within one inch of the foliage you are not

helping
much.

Light is a fascinating subject. Direct sun is just about impossible

reproduce. Artificial light sources such as florescent tend to drop off in
effective energy for plants very quickly,

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

****
++++Sponsored, in part, by Mike Page++++

****
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++