Old 09-02-2005, 09:22 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Steve Harris wrote:
In article , (Nick
Maclaren) wrote:

In many others, and I think that blueberries are among
them, they can tolerate neutral conditions if they have enough
humus in the soil. That usually means a LOT

If you add a lot of humus to the soil in the form of compost/manure,
isn't that likely to make it acid anyway?

Yes and no. Fen peats are not classed as acid soils. My point is
that the 'acidity' of soils is not a simple matter, and the reasons
that plants like 'acid' soils is even more complex. It is very,
very rarely as simple as the books make out.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.