Old 09-02-2005, 01:20 PM
Kay

In article , Lee and Kath
writes
I am asking this here because all you successful spud growers must have a good
way of storing them.

Why do the potatoes I get from the shops sprout shoots after about 8 or 9 days?

I put them into a black bag with cotton cloths above and below to prvent
sweating and put this into
a dark cupboard. How come other people can take advantage of bulk-buys and still
use their spuds?

I would have to throw mine away...

Try keeping them in a brown paper bag, which seems to keep them drier.
From a potato's point of view, nice damp air inside a black plastic bag
must seem very like being buried in soil.

Main problem about shoots is that it uses up some of the potato's stored
energy, and a shrivelled potato is hard to peel - but that is another 3
weeks or so after they start to shoot.

--
Kay