Old 09-02-2005, 04:59 PM
Anil Kaushik

Billy

Thank you for refreshing my knowledge on these three points. As far the toxins,
a few years ago one Professor from Punjab Agriculture University gave a talk on
fertilizers and manures for plants. During that comprehensive talk he had said
that when the manure starts fermenting it give off some gases and produces some
substances which are harmful to the roots especially the tender ones. I cannot
recollect the name of those substances but perhaps it was "cryptogams" (I am
afraid if I remember it correctly). In nutshell to prevent root scorching, one
should use only well rotted (about a year old) manure.

With this I will request Nina and Jim to elaborate on this.

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh "The City Beautiful"

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:

In a message dated 2/9/2005 4:11:51 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

Excreta of HERBEVOROUS animals is good manure provided it is well rotted.
It is used more as a buffer to improve the texture and quality of the soil,
than as a
fertilizer. But if it is not well rotted, it can be equally bad. While it
rots, it releases toxins which can be extremely harmful to the roots.

Anil Kaushik

Can you be more specific concerning the "toxins?" I know that:
1. depending upon the diet of the animal and possibly how

the
manure is collected their may be "salts" in the manure that would need to
leach out in a compost pile.
2. fresh manure, as it breaks down, can draw nitrogen from
the soil instead of adding to it.
3. some manure (chicken, but I wouldn't think ruminants) can
contain too much nitrate and that can burn plants and roots.

I guess that are mixed urines too, that means clorure of sodium
and ammonia.. at high levels

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mike Page++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++