Old 09-02-2005, 09:07 PM
John Savage

Glenn Pure writes:
something I didn't realise... there is a bird called commonly the
crested bellbird. This is not, in fact, the 'tink tink' sounding
bellbird.

As John Savage points out, the bellbird is in fact the Bell Miner!

Quite. It seems analogous to the seagull situation. The bird we commonly
refer to as a seagull is not the seagull -- it's correct name is the
silver gull. The real seagull is a different (larger) species.

]Bell Miners (Manorina melanophrys) feed on lerps, insects which infest
]eucalypt groves and which exude a sugary covering. I don't know that

If the bell miner feeds on lerps, can we call it a honeyeater?