Old 09-02-2005, 08:38 PM
Jeana

dps wrote:
You will get varying opinions on grow lights.

The first year I started seeds we bought "grow lights." After that I
read they weren't really necessary for starting seeds. I just bought
plain old shop lights and hung them from the rafters with chain. I never
noticed a difference in the growth of the plants. There might have been,
I just didn't notice it. They worked fine. When I didn't have enough
chain I used old books, mags, bricks, anything works.

If we had really cold weather and the furnace was running I had a better
germination rate. I never bother with heating cables because I don't
want to spend the money on them. If I think the seed trays need warmth I
put them up on top of my kitchen cabinets, or anywhere else in the house
that gets warm.

You might want to use a fan for good air circulation. I learned the hard
way.

Jean
Zone 5 OH reply to newsgroup only