Old 10-02-2005, 11:02 AM
Sacha

On 9/2/05 23:44, in article , "Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

On 9/2/05 7:37 pm, in article
,
"Janet Baraclough" wrote:

Imho, more squirm-worthy garden authors include Beverly Nichols, (but
at least he laughed at himself); Martha Stewart, and currently, Roy
Strong..sorry, Sacha, but I find his brand of acquired social
pretensions really detract from "The Laskett" .

No problem - I see that myself. But if you look past that at what he did
there with his (now deceased) wife, it was and is quite something. I like,
too, that he is quite open about his origins and does NOT pretend to be what
he is not. But he IS talented, I think.

I agree, his garden and amazing career are greatly to be admired.
That's what makes it worse, somehow..that someone so creative and
original, who has worked so hard and achieved so much, should be dazzled
and impressed by inherited wealth and status.

If people are of the type to be dazzled by such things alone, I'm not sure
it ever leaves them. Having lived in Jersey where a lot of rich and famous
people live, I've met some of them and become friendly with a few. One
particular famous person I have in mind, who has made millions, met all
sorts of other rich and famous people etc. has an enormously wide following,
is still insecure about his own social status and "how to do things
properly". Perhaps, somewhere inside, many of us are still about 19 years
old! But I do like about Roy Strong the fact that he never hides his
origins or attempts to be 'grander' than he is by birth. A lot of people do
that to their own detriment, IMO, especially when meeting or mixing with
people posher than themselves.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk