Old 10-02-2005, 11:10 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Sacha
writes
I've always thought it was a great leveller. Everyone looks the same in
gardening clothes and the interests are the same, even if the tastes aren't.
My experience of people who are passionate about gardening and plants is
that there ARE no social barriers, except possibly from the sort of Mrs
Hampstead I was thinking of originally. And real gardeners garden, Lord or
not.

But I'm not sure that gardening is designing Sacha, Some people love the
plants, they like growing them etc but others seem intent on the hard
landscaping and overall effect so plants are seen as making up the
effect like scenery shifting.

I'm forever buying plants or growing things that have no part in an
overall scheme (if there were one) though I have a blue bed a yellow bed
and a red bed so I know where to shove stuff that's too big for the pots

To a designer a lawn has to curve or feel right, to a plants person a
lawn is there to be inched away so there's more room for the next
perennials ..............

On the other hand, I expect there's wonderful people who combine both
skills, though I have yet to find a designer who wants to know where the
greenhouse is going, where \I could put all my cuttings in pots and
empty flowerpots and a seed bed for new plants.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph