Old 10-02-2005, 04:33 PM
junkyardcat

We have 11 acres covered with wild blackberries (commonly called
dewberries), and while they are pretty (they produce small white flowers),
they can quickly become a pain in the wazoo, LOL! They do produce runners
and if you don't keep them cut back to a tolerable amount will overtake your
whole yard. When I first moved here, they were in the asparagus garden,
mixed in with the flower gardens, etc...I would pick a plant up and pull and
these HUGE runners would stretch for what seemed like miles

I'm not saying they're a pest though...I love the blackberries we get for
pies, jam, etc., but just know what you're getting into before you plant
some And I would suggest thornless, because the ones we have are full of
thorns, and they hurt like the dickens when they get in your fingers!

Hope this helps
Angie in the Boonies of East Texas

wrote in message
ups.com...
Is this hard? How do they grow? Been thinking of building some along a
fence I need to build in the front yard. Can I mulch with plastic or do
they have runners? Do they flower? Are they pretty? DO they need alot
of water?