Old 10-02-2005, 11:15 PM
pk

Dave Poole wrote:
Another question: how do you overwinter your outdoor-planted bananas?
I think I've made a big mistake with my existing banana plant - an
Ensete ventricosum planted out in my south London garden. I had the
idea that this variety was root hardy, but have since read that it
isn't. I've wrapped it in fleece (which the foxes keep pulling off -
the devils) and given it a hat to keep the rain off, but I'm really
not too confident that it will survive even our mild winter.

It all depends. Its been an exceptionally mild (non) winter in many
regions (here - just one short lived frost to minus 1.5C all winter)
and Ensete ventricosum is a darned sight tougher than many writers
would have you believe. There's a fair chance that your plant will
have survived. Since it does not need the big spring heat-surges that
many Musas require to start them growing, you may be pleasantly
surprised to see new leaves peeking out within a month or so. Just
sit and wait it out. If the stump becomes totally soft, mushy and
smelly, it has died. If it remains firm - especially close to the
base, it has survived and should make a good recovery.

My South London experience (SW19) says Ensette v.'maurellii' is most
unlikely to survive outside even with good wrapping.

I've had totally unprotected M.basjoo survive unscathed and grow on again
from the 2m trunk, while a nearby well wrapped maurellii turned to mush! The
problem is the odd night of very deep frost in an other wise mild winter -
basjoo shrugs that off, but maurellii dislikes even one deep cold night.

I've now given up on it as my wife objected to the dining room being taken
over by a 2.5m triffid each winter!

pk