Old 11-02-2005, 01:23 AM
Dwayne

Before the first frost, I would dig it up, cut the leaves off, put the end
with the root ball into a plastic bag, and lay it inside a building that
never gets cold enough to freeze. Then in the spring when all danger of
frost is over, replant it.

My wife and I have ours planted in pots, and we carry them inside before the
frost. we store them in a warmed room and keep the lights on 12 hours a
day, in addition to what comes in from the windows. We have never had any
bananas from the trees, but I am not sure which type they are.

Dwayne

"Ornata" wrote in message

I've ordered some seeds of Musa sikkimensis. I've read that bananas
need high temperatures for successful germination (30-35 degrees C). I
don't think my rather basic heated propagators will reach this
temperature. Does anybody have any tips for getting good germination?
Also, should I soak the seeds first?

Another question: how do you overwinter your outdoor-planted bananas?
I think I've made a big mistake with my existing banana plant - an
Ensete ventricosum planted out in my south London garden. I had the
idea that this variety was root hardy, but have since read that it
isn't. I've wrapped it in fleece (which the foxes keep pulling off -
the devils) and given it a hat to keep the rain off, but I'm really
not too confident that it will survive even our mild winter. I read
that a good method of protection is to build an enclosure and stuff it
with straw; are there better methods? I've also just bought an Ensete
ventricosum 'Maurelii' (Red Abyssinian Banana) from Mulu, which I'll
plant out in April/May. I think its reddish leaves are going to look
stunning with the sunlight through them... but I'll try to give it
better winter protection.

Any advice on banana germination or overwintering gratefully received.

--
Ornata