Old 11-02-2005, 12:41 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 2/11/2005 6:12:08 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

I have a trident maple with a really nicely tapered trunk, however all my
branches are currently on the top third of the trunk. How do I go about
encouraging lower branches or do I have to cut all branches off and start from
scratch?

I wouldn't cut off all the branches.
1. You can try tip cutting the existing branches to encourage
back budding, but if the trunk is old and large, you will not get much.
2. Grow the tree taller. The existing branches will not get
higher on the tree, but the proportions will change.
3. A "thread graft" or "approach graft" might also work.
4. You could try the horizontal cut method also.

I realize that South Africa is a large country with a variety of
weather/climate conditions, BUT I wouldn't think a Trident Maple would ever be
happy there.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mike Page++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++