Old 11-02-2005, 01:56 PM
Phisherman

On 11 Feb 2005 05:18:56 -0800, wrote:

Another question, is it hard to grow these? I have heard some people
use them as landscape plants. How big do they get and are they hard to
take car of? Do they require alot of water?

To get a good yields there are several things to consider. The soil
must be acidic. I use cottonseed meal in the spring, but that was not
enough so I use two (double-diluted) applications of Miracid during
the growing season. They have a delicate shallow root system that
should be mulched with rotted sawdust. Do not use fresh sawdust. I
heap the sawdust on the ground, let it rot for 10 months, then use it.
The mulch will help retain moisture and reduce watering needs. You
will need some bird netting when the berries form. Plant at least
three varieties for better yields and longer season. Plant 6-8 feet
apart in part sunny locations. In my opinion, they are not exactly a
landscaping "beauty" plant, but the berries are wonderful.