Old 11-02-2005, 10:06 AM
Lynda Thornton

Default North north west facing garden - perennial border ideas

Hello all

We have a large north-north-west facing lawned garden with high beech
hedges and woodland shrubs around and I would like to add some colour
and variety with a long perennial border running along a wooden picket
3ft fence we recently put up. I have already removed 2ft of the turf
and am about to prepare the soil by digging in some organic matter and
adding some more topsoil as much of it went with the grass.

I have been thinking about plants which would be OK in this situation.
It isn't shady and does get sun but it can get windy and cold too. It
gets some sun first thing and then a bit more in late afternoon, from
the other side. I would like some taller plants for added interest and
hopefully the fence will provide some shelter and support. I have
already ordered some plants from Thompson&Morgan below:

2 hybrid tea roses, 3-4ft max
acanthus mollis
asiatic lilies
verbena bonariensis

Some plants I am still thinking about a

lilium regale
primula vialli
phlox paniculata
bell flowers (like canterbury bells I think)
aquilegia mixed
monarda mixed
hellebores
verbascum phoeniculum
dicentra pregrina alba (only grows 30-40cm).

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions and are any of these plants
completely wrong for the situation? I am not super keen on orange or
bright yellow so have avoided those colours mostly.

Any other ideas would be welcome - I am really looking forward to
sitting in the garden this summer with a view of a colourful flower
border hopefully!!

Thanks
Lynda