Old 11-02-2005, 04:07 PM
Jim Lewis

On 11 Feb 2005 at 10:10, Steven Wachs wrote:

When you want to force growth from the trunk at a lower point on some trees,
you remove the upper most apex of the tree. this sends some sort of signal
to the rest of the tree to push out new growth in an effort for the tree to
establish a new apex. Once you remove a portion of the apex the tree will push
out new growth all over he tree. then is just a matter of picking the new
growth you want. Trident Maples respond very well to this method. of course then
you have to establish the desired branch to achieve a thickness greater than
the ones above it.
Trident is a great tree to work with for this reason. It responds well to
the general rules of pruning and pinching

Before I "removed" an apex, assuming I liked it, I'd merely try
total defoliation on the topmost part of the tree,

Jim Lewis - - Hit THINK before you hit SEND
-- AND PLEASE SNIP POSTS!

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mike Page++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++