Old 11-02-2005, 04:12 PM
Derek Broughton

Wildkarrde wrote:

You should know that pressure treated wood contains some very serious
toxins! In fact so serious that the wood is usually labeled at the lumber
yard as to not eat after handling it.

No, it's not. I try not to use PT lumber if I can help it. But I still
have a fair bit of it on my decks, and none of it was ever labelled. The
"end preservative" cans are pretty well labelled, though.

Let me explain what can happen...
You set you pond up using this wood, you line it. Ok not let's say ir
rains or lawn sprinklers hit it, whatever... Any of the water that runs
off the
wood and gets into the pond will poison the pond water with poisons. I

Do you know what the poison is?

just read an article about a few cities that used this wood for childrens
climbing parks and playgrounds until they reliased the error that they
made. It was found that the ground around the treated wood would become
saturated with the toxins and even after the wooden fixtures were removed,
they later had to remove the sand play areas and surface layers of dirt
and sod to get

Always trust "articles". It is largely banned for use in playgrounds, now,
because of a deathly fear of lawsuits, rather than any real evidence of
danger.

rid of it. I don't mean to scare you, but poison is poison and it there's

That's a stretch. Sugar is poison, too. There's actually a huge variation
in poisons.

way for it to get into your pond from the framwork you make, you can bet
it
probably will. I posted my experience with an epoxy coating below that
the

Do you have a clue how poisonous epoxy is? Until, and for some time after,
it cures, it's far more toxic than PT wood.

The real hazard of PT wood in ponds is not that it contains Arsenic, but
that it contains Copper. Copper's very toxic to invertebrates.
--
derek