Old 11-02-2005, 11:38 PM
JimS.

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message
"scratchy" wrote
[snip]

snip

It seems to be Spring in Seattle too. A couple of weeks ago (like January
10th or so) I noticed that winter or no winter, my roses aren't waiting.
We've had an absurdly warm winter in Seattle (not that it gets that cold
here anyway) and I even had blooms on New Years day. I figured I'd go
ahead and prune so I woudn't torture them by letting them grow, and then
cut back. SO, there it was mid-January and they're all pruned. I'm not
TOO worried about a freeze now-- very unlikely.

WHILE I was at it.....I had my local garden store give me a bid on building
a raised box along a wall where I had a hedge last year. With an $800 bid
(ouch! but really worth it....) they built me the most beautiful 20-foot
slightly terraced raised bed, and got it done in one day. Awesome job, and
a much, much better job than I was going to do myself. Now all my roses in
big pots can finally get buried. And I get to go buy new ones too! :-Þ

JimS.
Seattle
Zone 8
Where it's almost 60 today, Feb 11th!