Old 11-02-2005, 09:08 PM
Mike Lyle

boing wrote:
Hello,

Looking for some advice, for a few years now I have been trying to

lay
a decent lawn with little success. The area has been for a very

long
time home to all sorts of angry looking weeds and although I have
cleared them and used all sorts of toxic stuff, they still come

back.
I don't need advice on how to get rid of them I've had all sorts

from
experts up and down the country in 3 years. Now I am just fedup

and
want to try something I've invented myself so here's the question

(at
long last you say);

I'm not a gardner but I have used that black cloth covering stuff

block out weeds around my boarders and that seems to work well. My
plan for the lawn is to dig it up (again) and lay some of the black
covering cloth down. Then I plan to put the turf right on top. The
idea being while the weeds can't get up the grass roots should be
able to dig down. I'm sure I'm have to water it very well for a

while.

Will it work ?

Can anyone help ?

I really wouldn't bother. I'd say, ask yourself if you really want a
100% grass lawn. Then ask why. What's it for? Putting green? Bowls?
Winning a competition? You mention none of these, so I assume you're
a normal human being.

Just mow it twice a week, and enjoy life. If a particular weed
happens to get up your nose now and then, dig the blighter out when
you happen to feel like it.

The turf-on-landscape-fabric idea might work, but it will never
produce a fully self-sustaining lawn, which is obviously what you
want and need as you can't get the normal treatments to work. The
problem will be, as you say, that it will need watering -- and
feeding -- far too often, because the grass roots won't be able to
get below the membrane in sufficient numbers. And it probably
wouldn't drain well in bad weather. It'll upset the moles a bit,
though!

Mike.