Old 11-02-2005, 10:10 PM
Jeff C

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 23:54:16 +0000, ned wrote:

"Jeff C" wrote in message

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 13:41:51 +0000, Paul D.Smith wrote:

My current seed feeder is one of those cylinders with a "trough"
around the bottom. Problem is the pigeons have figured out how
to perch on there, albeit at weird angles, so empty it in a day
and a half.

If I buy a feeder with those small individual perches, will the
pigeons defeat that or will that be suffiently trickey that
they'll fail?

Anyone with experience of persistent, and it must be said clever,
pigeons care to comment.

Paul DS.

More by accident than by design, but the birds and squirrels in my
garden seem to stay in their own feeding areas. I have one RSPB
feeder with small perches, this is filled with mixed wild bird seed
that sparrows mainly feed from.

One squirrel proof feeder filled with peanuts that is almost
exclusively used by blue tits.

One hanging bird table that swings too much if pigeons try to get
to it which starlings, when they are about seem to prefer, this is
usually filled with bread crumbs, old biscuits and wild bird seed.

A couple of plastic cups on either end of the garage gutter, with
peanuts in, which seem to be used exclusively by magpies.

And finally an old flower basket hanging from the shed with a
mixture of shelled and unshelled peanuts which the pigeons and
squirrels fight for.

With a couple of handful of wild bird seed thrown under the shrubs
for the black birds.

The cost?

One big sack of wild bird seed usually lasts a year, and a 5kg bag
of peanuts lasts about six weeks. I think its worth it for the
pleasure.

That must be one big, big sack of wild bird seed!
I get through 25Kg per month, nearly filling a 2 litre plastic
bottle feeder each day.#

Without going to the garden shed I'm guessing that the "big" bag of
wild bird seed would be 25kg and indeed it lasts a season, but maybe
its because I have a small garden? my neighbours also put feed out.

There is no shortage of birds visiting the garden, but I must admit I
don't watch the garden for hours on end.

The bird feeders seem to empty faster in the spring than any other
time of year, but otherwise only need topping up once or twice a week,
I do check that the seed at the bottom of the feeder has not started
to go mouldy and if it does I clean out the feeder and refresh with
dry seed/nuts.

I do have a major problem with the number of cats that frequent my
garden (too many I hate 'em!), there are a couple of owners that take
in stray cats, one has 5 cats the other was 9 cats. Some neighbours
have complained, but what can you do? I like birds and they like cats,
I suppose we're all God's creatures and it's "live and let live"

Regards Jeff.

www.astrecks.co.uk

If it works..............DON'T fix it
No Virus Checker? try this free one from AVG it is very good:-
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php
For a new experience in e-mail clients try:- http://www.pocomail.com/
Kill SPAM forever! Protect your family with Spamjab from:-
http://www.spamjab.com/