Old 12-02-2005, 06:09 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 06:38:47 -0500, "aquetong" wrote:

snipped for brevity
Pennsylvania, preformed pond on deck 125 gallons. two pretty goldfish 6" long each.
window screens over the pond and "keep a hole in the ice" device in the pond.

My question: is it necessary to do anything to the water in the pond during
the winter? I keep checking and the fish are alive (and well?). They hang
out under the de-icer device.

On nice days I do 10-20% water changes in my koi ponds, about once a month,
in the winter. Is it real necessary in your situation? Probably not.

Really good articles to read a
http://www.vcnet.com/koi_net/H2Oquality.html by Norm Meck
in particular "Pond Water Change Outs"

Give us an idea of your ponding level. Did the previous owner fill you in
on the use of dechlor, water test kits, feeding, etc. ? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a