Old 12-02-2005, 06:40 PM
June Hughes

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article , Mike wrote:
"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , Droog Genzel
writes
I have just realised that I produce a fair amount of shredded paper in my
home office from one of those small paper shredders. This one cuts it up
into small pieces.
Instead of binning this, is it any use putting it into the compost bin ?

I used to shred mine and compost it but now the council collects it
weekly for recycling. It used to break down well.

June can you give us a run down on proportions to use, and do you mix it in
or just dump it on top of the heap/compost bin? (We operate bins, we have
three of them)

Just dump it, though it needs to be crumpled enough that it doesn't
pack solid, and mixed with some earth (for the fungi) and something
that adds other nutrients (mainly nitrogen). In a household bin,
there is rarely any need to do more than avoid putting too much on
at once and crumpling flat stuff a bit.

As mine was shredded in the first place, I didn't need to crumple it. I
don't think squashing it into a block would work.
--
June Hughes