Old 12-02-2005, 11:54 PM
Mike Lyle

boing wrote:
I don't know why so many people think I'm looking for a 100%

perfect
lawn and perhaps I've got those other 5% weeds that just don't give
up.

I have ivy, nettles and a thick something or other that spreads

along
the ground covering everything it comes accross. [

....]

I've taken on the commenta and thanks ofr taking the time but I've
really not heard anything to put me off trying this. No one has

said
they have seen it fail and I don't mind normal everyday weeds in

the
lawn.

OK, so you haven't got time for the upkeep of a lawn: no problem. You
don't want to pay somebody else to come in and cut once or twice a
week: fair enough. Believe me (and others have said the same
already), this means that, whatever you do to start a new lawn, it
will rapidly end up looking exactly the same as the one you've got.
You've _got_ to cut it regularly, or it _will_ go wild.

(Weedkillers kill weeds; they don't kill weed seeds.)

So are you positive that you actually _need_ a lawn? How big an area
are we considering? You can have a lovely paved area with a pond in
it, and assorted shrubs flowering all through the year, a few
containers nicely placed. You can have Japanese stone garden. You
could have a miniature woodland to stroll through in your rare
moments of leisure. You could have an orchard. There are plenty of
things you can do instead of a lawn, and they can all be much more
attractive than the best boring lawn in the kingdom -- which you
won't get anyhow.

Why not say roughly where you are? One of us might be able to come
and have a look at the problem if we're passing. I'm in Cheltenham.
(Hint.)

Mike.