Old 13-02-2005, 02:57 AM
Ozdude

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
I believe it thrives if potassium is prevalent.

No, it thrives is potassium is not the limiting factor. But it
also needs nitrates, phosphates, Iron, and trace elements.

So fertilizer tabs in the substrate that are balanced would do the trick?

The Val. in my tank has picked up quite significantly since I started
daily
liquid fertilization about a week ago, but my male Honey Gourami has a
really stupid habit of swimming straight into the fertilizer when I add it
to the tank (he's too friendly) and I'm getting really worried that sooner
or later he's going to suffer micro-nutrient poisoning.

No, he'll be ok.

He seems to be but I still worry. I think I may switch from daily fertilizer
to once per week with the change water because I'm getting green algae all
over the place now and I'm sure it's from too much fertilizer, too often. It
may get worse if I keep up dailies with substrate fertilizer as well.
Perhaps when the fertilizer balls go in I should stop daily and weeklies
altogether? I guess it's a do-and-run thing and I'll just have to see what
works for the tank.

The green algae is forming because you don't have enough nitrates.

Really? How do you up the nitrates? Stop changing the water so much?

I thought too much phosphate caused it? What-ever, I guess something is out
of balance in the tank and it needs to be addressed quick smart. Any ideas?

Oz

--
My Aquatic web Blog is at http://members.optusnet.com.au/ivan.smith