Old 13-02-2005, 07:46 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 21:44:39 -0500, "aquetong" wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I am a total newcomer to ponds. However, the previous
owner left behind equipment (pump, filter, fountain heads, water test kit,
spring/fall food, summer food ...) and told me to start everything running
in the spring as the water warms up.

We have well water so chlorine is not an issue.

The goldfish are comets purchased by the previous homeowner this summer. Do
they have a long life span? How large will they get?

Comets can get up to 12" long in the right conditions.

Finally, while I have read info on the Internet are there one or two books
on the subject anyone out there would recommend for a pond novice?

My favorite book was the Pond Doctor by Helen Nash, but by now there are
surely a bunch more by other authors. Look for one that tells you more than
"how to build a pond". The Low Maintenance Water Garden is also another of
hers. There are also two very good magazines other there, Water Gardening
and Koi USA.... though the later is more towards the koi koichi crowd, they
do have articles in each issue on goldfish and aquatic plants.

Koi USA. I've really enjoyed the latest person (started in early 2004)
who is doing their aquatic plants section. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~