Old 13-02-2005, 09:53 PM
Mike Lyle

Kay wrote:
How well do ramsons compete with ivy? The original ramsons clump at
the nature park is being overrun by ivy, and since holding the ivy
back is going to be a losing battle, I've been transplanting a few
seedlings into other likely spots. But how long will the original
clump be able to hold out?

Doesn't it depend on aspect? My expanding patch of ramsons was never
troubled by ivy in ten years, even though the ivy was around first.
The bear garlic was under a north-facing bank, and the ivy always
headed up and south. It was a stream bank, though, and subject to a
big rise in winter, so perhaps that was why I never remember seeing
an ivy seedling low down.

I can't imagine any small bulb lasting more than five years or so
under an increasing blanket of ivy, though.

Mike.