Old 13-02-2005, 10:03 PM
Mike Lyle

Kay wrote:
In article , Franz Heymann
notfranz. writes
G.B. Shaw also had some temporary claim to fame. Who knows

anything
about his plays nowadays, except perhaps for that popularised
musical? (Which I thoroughly enjoy)

I've read a good few of them. But then, I might be too old to count
;-)

Isn't there still a Shaw Festival at malvern?

Ah, you can't be as old as I am, can you? Isn't it strange how his
influence has virtually dropped dead? He may have said some damn-fool
things about Russia, but his plays, even at the preachiest, are such
_fun_ as well as thought-provoking. I'd guess people ten years older
than I am got most of their political education from him. Not even
Arthur Miller, on whom be peace, would have got a letter delivered,
addressed simply with a picture of him and the words "wherever he may
be at present", as Shaw did. I remember the stir when a contemporary
of my mother's, an Australian actor, got a reply to a letter to the
Grand Old man. "Young man," it began!

Mike.