Old 13-02-2005, 10:48 PM
Stephen Howard

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 21:10:02 +0000, Kay
wrote:

How well do ramsons compete with ivy? The original ramsons clump at the
nature park is being overrun by ivy, and since holding the ivy back is
going to be a losing battle, I've been transplanting a few seedlings
into other likely spots. But how long will the original clump be able to
hold out?

It rather depends on how high the ivy gets over the clump.
Plenty of ramsons round here thrive in very shady aspects, and burst
through from under a layer of thick leaf litter and ivy.
I would imagine that the proviso is that the ramson leaves must be
able to make it up into some sort of light in order to replenish the
bulb for the next season.

There is perhaps a danger that ivy, along with another plant which can
deal with significant ground cover ( such as nettles ) might act in
combination to finish the ramsons off.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk