Old 14-02-2005, 01:10 PM
Richard Sexton

In article ,
Shawn wrote:
Where can I get KNO3 ? Is that availabe at a LFS ? I do weekly large water
changes - nearly the entire tank actually, leaving just enough for the fish
to keep swimming, before I refill. Then I treat with something called
"ALGAEFIX". This knocked the crap out the BGA (as well as making the rest
of my plants look quite poor), and I contined the treatment for several
weeks, as it said in the directions. But once I stopped, with another
couple weeks the BGA reappeared and gradually got worse again. I don't want
to have to maintain my tank forever on medicine and chemicals. I ran it for
the first 4 years without a single breakout.

Ah, ok, the algaefix killed off the firendly bacteria and your
tank is a now going through the algae succession that occurs with
new tank syndrome.

Change 80% of the water a day. On about the 4th day it should be almost
all gone. Keep doing it till it is.

Marcyn is overkill. Water changes alone will fix this, you don't need
more chemnicals. You were right ion figuring out algaefix would eradicate BA
though.

kno3 is potassium nitrate. blue green alage thrices in low nitrate
conditions. Hydroponics stores are the best source of this as nitrate
from a petshop fertilizer bottyle is stupid expensive.

Don't you just love that smell of blue gree n alage?

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org