Old 14-02-2005, 02:04 PM
Katra

In article ,
Steve wrote:

Katra wrote:
In article ,
Steve wrote:

Katra wrote:

Ok... so what can I use for scale infestation on cactus?
San Pedro cactus...

I had to look up a picture of San Pedro cactus to see if it was covered
with spines or not. I see there is space between the rows of spines.
If you have it in a pot, and it's not too huge, you can do it the easy
way. Take some rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab and rub off every scale.
Spray, or otherwise wet the plant with alcohol about twice a week to
kill the microscopic young ones. Inspect the plant closely every week
for a while to watch for new scale. Get them before they have time to
reproduce.
If you live where you are growing this cactus outside, you'll probably
have to spray with something stronger.

Steve

It's in the greenhouse... That's what has me worried!
I've used some sevin', but have read that it usually takes an oil based
insecticide to effectively kill adult scale? But what are oil based
pesticides and how dangerous are they?

I have some doubt about what they mean by oil based insecticide. Some
insecticides are wettable powders to be mixed with water. Some in liquid
form are also water based. Some liquid insecticides are in an oil base
(you still usually mix that liquid with water). More often, these are
referred to as petroleum based insecticides. These can be harsh on
delicate plants. I wouldn't think cactus would be delicate but I'm not
sure. If you burn a few leaves on a plant that can grow new leaves,
that's one thing but if you burn your cactus, it's scared for life.
They may have simply been referring to products like the "SunSpray
Ultra-fine" oil that I mentioned in my first post in this thread.

Steve

Hmmmmm... I wonder if I mixed pennyroyal essential oil with some
vegatable based oil to act as a diluent? Scale as adults are sessile, so
those breeders I need to kill. :-P I can put the oil spray into a spray
oil dispenser used for cooking. AKA an "oil pump"

I'm finally getting pennyroyal established in one of my raised beds.
Great ground cover and acts as "green mulch" and is insect repellant.

D'you think this might work?

I have a small investment tied up in the San Pedros as landscaping cacti
and have been actively trying to propagate them. This damned scale
infestation could be a real blow!

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
to use mental floss twice a day. -- Swami Beyondanada