Old 14-02-2005, 12:54 PM
Kay

In article , shazzbat
writes

SNIP

"Contractile roots", Janet? I also assume that they put on most of
their annual growth at the bottom, so they'll go down rather than up
even if the roots don't actually pull them down. The ones that pop
out must be the younger ones in a crowded clump, which never really
managed to find soil-room to grow downwards, and whose roots have
died of exposure.

I wonder what time of year does this rolling downhill occur? It seems to me
that if it happened in autumn, they would soon be covered by falling leaves
which would become compost, or at least leaf mould, and insulate the bulbs
from frost until they got established. A pretty good system in my view.

That would follow. And you'd get the bare ones only where the bank was
bare of leafmould, which is what is happening.
--
Kay