Old 14-02-2005, 12:54 PM
Kay

In article , Ellen Connell
] writes
I have a four year old amaryllis bulb which has never flowered, every
year it gives me an abundance of leaves. I have re-potted but it makes
no difference. Help.

Repotting is a bad idea. While life is good and they have plenty of
soil, they are happy to continue growing leaves and getting bigger and
fatter. When they are running out of soil, there is a need to move into
new soil via seedlings, and therefore an impetus to flower.

So 1) don't repot again. It's fine to stay in the same pot, even to the
extent that the pot becomes misshapen!
2) don't use a high nitrogen fertiliser (which stimulates leaf growth) -
use a high potassium one istead, for example a tomato fertiliser.
--
Kay