Old 14-02-2005, 04:23 PM
Nikki Casali

Margolis wrote:
I just rinse it off under the running tap once every 4-6 weeks. No need to
put it in storage solution, just put it back in the tank..

I got algae growing on mine. I had to soak it in acid to clean it. I've
heard some using 1:9 bleach and water solution.

as for refilling them, what would you fill it with? They don't have
anything in them to refill.

My Aqua Medic probe has a refill hole. Once enough reference solution
has leached out after months of use, it can be refilled with 3.5 M
KCl/AgCl instead of buying a new one.

and for calibration, just get yourself some calibration fluid and use it
according to the directions on the ph meter. I use 4 and 7. I put it in
the 7 and then adjust the 7 screw until it is correct and then use the 4 and
adjust the 4/10 screw until it is correct. Rinse with ro or distilled water
between testing fluids. If you don't have ro or distilled water just rinse
it under the tap and make sure you shake it dry.

I use 7 and 9.18. Every time I recalibrate, the probe presents an
artificially low reading in the tank. It takes an hour to drift from the
6.85 to the correct 7.15. It's a new probe. I've heard someone else with
a similar experience at http://www.thekrib.com/Chemistry/ph.html.

Nikki