Old 14-02-2005, 07:06 PM
Loki

il Mon, 14 Feb 2005 08:22:02 -0600, Katra ha scritto:

In article ,
"Loki" wrote:

SevinŽ is carbaryl. http://www.bayercropscienceus.com/products/view:s

Despite what it says about red scale by the manufacturer. My
gardening book does not say it's for scale. and not to mix with oil
(?)
Goodluck.

I've already done some googling on scale, but not until I'd tried Sevin.
Most websites on scale say that carbaryl does not work...

The most effective 'cides for scale must be oil based.

Conqueror oil (NZ) is 970ml/litre mineral oil, nothing else. I may
have mixed it with orthene but I think it was the plain oil I used
and my heavily invested bay tree (not a patch of bark uncolonised) is
looking better I noticed today. So it kills not by poison but by
mechanical means i.e. smothering. I suspect you can use it fairly
liberally. Whether vegie oil would work as well, it may break down
more quickly. I'm afraid you will have to google, my expertise is
limited.

Watch out for ants. it seems they like farming aphids and someone
said also scale. They shuffle them around and basically use them as a
farmer would stock.

Goodluck
--
Cheers,