Old 14-02-2005, 04:46 PM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 14:40:08 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

His method was to fill a
gutter about 6' long with compost and sow the seeds in it. During that
month in a glasshouse the seeds would sprout into nice, healthy, little
plants. When the right moment arrived, Tom dug a trench and carefully slid
the entire row of peas and compost into it, well advanced over those sown
directly into the ground.

I think I saw this method used by Sarah Raven during her time on GW. I
can't remember the outcome. I noted it, as I had seen it demonstrated
somewhere before and tried the idea. The one thing I learned was that
you need to let the plants get a good mat of roots so that they slide
out of the gutter in one strip. I tried to slide mine out too soon.

Pam in Bristol