Old 14-02-2005, 06:45 PM
Sacha

On 7/2/05 21:47, in article , "Martin
Brown" wrote:

keith ;-) wrote:
Is anyone using a greenhouse heater with gas bottle supplying it,if so how
long do the bottles last?I am thinking of buying a 4.2 kw greenhouse gas
heater with hose & regulator instead of 2kw electric heater which I have
just received electric bill for 120 quid for two month ouch!

How hot are you keeping the greenhouse? My annual bill for greenhouse
heating was never more than £200 annually for a 20x10'. More than
paraffin but without all the ventilation, refueling and condensation
problems.

Use bubblewrap over all the interior glass, create a curtain inside the
door so that only the blind end of the greenhouse is heated. Then set
the thermostat to keep a temperature of 5C and have a hot box for
anything that is really touchy or just take it indoors.

I presume you are heating your greenhouse almost continuously with 2kW
to get that sort of immense bill. Most days it has actually been above
5C this winter - so only on a few days should active heating have been
needed at all. OK you may be growing Madagascan wotsits at 20C min temp
but then you should have your greenhouse designed to much higher
insulation standards.

Regards,
Martin Brown