Old 15-02-2005, 01:27 AM
Snooze

"Mike C" wrote in message
ups.com...
Okay, I will get it out of there . However, don't act like leaving it
is absurd:

1)I've read that if ice forms in the winter you shouldn't pound on it
so you don't disturb the domant Koi. Certainly hitting with a new would
disturb them even more.
2) Fish die all the time in nature and nobody gets them out.
3) If the pond was covered in snow/ice, you wouldn't even know there
was a dead fish to remove.

1) The reason you don't pound on the ice is that you create a large
shockwave across the ice, which translates into a large shockwave across the
pond.

2) Residential ponds are a fraction of the size of natural ponds. Natural
ponds that are the size of a residential pond, if they have fish, are
typically minnow size or smaller. You rarely see large koi sized fish in
such a pond, there just isn't enough food and water to maintain a self
sustaining population.

3) You do what you can, if the pond was completely covered over and you
didn't know about the dead fish, not much you can do about it.

Incidentally some folks here have said that filling a pot with hot water and
just setting it on the ice will melt a hole in the ice should the pond
freeze over.

Snooze