Old 15-02-2005, 05:45 AM
peter

thanks heaps guys.
Interlocking blocks sound good.
Thanks for your efforts
pete
"Timothy" wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:49:13 +1000, peter wrote:

Hi
I'm planning to build a few concrete block garden beds, probably three
blocks high, ten blocks long at the max, on a concrete floor. What are
the
growing mediums better suited to this? Is it a good idea to
waterporoof/seal the inner surfaces? Do you have to use mortar for a wall
three bricks high? Thanks all
Peter

Good day Peter. I'm assuming that your speaking of cinder block? If so,
then yes, you will need to cement them together. If you haven't purchased
bloch yet, I would strongly recommend `allen block. There are many
different makers of this block and it maybe called something else where
your at. These blocks can be found at most big box stores and rock yards.

The advantages to this kind of block is that they lock (kind of) into
place and require no cement. If you want to change the beds, take the
blocks apart and rebuild it again. These blocks also have spaces, cracks
if you will, between the blocks that will allow water to drain. These
blocks come in tons of different styles and I'm sure you could find
something that pleases you. And lastly, they can be rather cheap.

Around here I fill the planters with pea-gravel three inches or so and
fill the rest of the bed with a product called "three way mix". This is a
third mushroom compost, a third skagit river silt and top soil. I just
love this stuff.

--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://www.ywgc.com