Old 15-02-2005, 08:26 AM
gregpresley

Although some have suggested mortar, cement, etc ,between blocks, I have
grown vegetables for 4 years with very rough sawn old concrete squares just
shoved together and then filled with soil. A little soil leaches out between
the blocks, but I just put small rocks in between to minimize that. In 4
years, I'll bet I have lost no more than a quart of soil out of the entire
10X6 bed, with twice a week overhead irrigation. Every spring I did in 3 of
4 large bags of composted manure and topsoil to replenish the soil, which
tends to compact over time. If it seems a little dense, I might also add
some potting soil. Of course the look is quite rustic, as you can imagine -
it's not a part of the garden for showing off flowers......lol
"peter" wrote in message
Hi
I'm planning to build a few concrete block garden beds, probably three
blocks high, ten blocks long at the max, on a concrete floor.
What are the growing mediums better suited to this?
Is it a good idea to waterporoof/seal the inner surfaces?
Do you have to use mortar for a wall three bricks high?
Thanks all
Peter