Old 15-02-2005, 09:08 AM
jane

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 01:45:50 +0000, Douglas
wrote:

~
~[QUOTE=Mike Lyle
~For example, are younger people aware that George Orwell wrote
~anything apart from Animal Farm and 1984?[
~
~Almost certainly not, and if so, it's a pity.
~[
~
~If I were to think about such a thing, then in all probability, I
~could.
~
~..The was of the Worlds??
:-) You mean War of the Worlds I assume!

~Sorry, that was Orson Welles wasn't it??
Er, no. HG Wells... Orson Welles just read it on the radio and scared
half of America in the '30s...

~Getting the Orwell and Orson mixed up (oops).
And the Herbert George

~All we did at School was the likes of Shakespere, and lots of Scottish
~authors and poets, such as Liz Lochhead, Crichgton, and many others.
~
~Not to mention WW1 poets like Sassoon and Owen....
Oh I did those for O level. Still like Wilfrid Owen, terrible waste of
talent as war always is. Was a strange thing to teach 15-year olds but
it was compensated for by doing Ovid in Latin (ooer).

~Hardly a massive variation though.
~
~I do know however, that Orwell wrote 1984 in 1948, and ended up living
~alone on Jura until he died in 1950ish/something.

--
jane

Mark Twain