Old 15-02-2005, 10:04 PM
Richard Brooks

Ben wrote:
Hi,

I've planted some cornflower seeds in a seed tray, with general
purpose compost, watering when needed. They came up pretty quickly
(within 4 days) and are now about 4" tall, however they seem to have
very droopy stems, is ths normal? Do I need to support them with
anything, or will they strengthen over time?

Any help appreciated

Ben

We had an item on a popular science tv programme called Tomorrow's World in
the UK some years back and some scientists thought that plants grown in an
environment without air movement might have been a problem so the plants
became 'drawn'.

Maybe ?

It would be an interesting experiment to do what the presenters did and that
was to move the tips of the fingers lightly over one tray of small plants
and leave another one.

Richard.