Old 16-02-2005, 01:17 PM
Ornata Ornata is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cleland
By all means plant any prunings though it is worth learning how to root
cuttings even if you end up throwing or giving them away afterwards.

Desireable colourful or variagate cultivars go very well.

Thanks all, I will give it a go. I spotted a lime green variety up in
homebase last week for £5 - very tempted to add a different colour.

I quite fancy the achievement of the process (if it works).

Thanks again

David
Dogwoods (Cornus alba, Cornus sanguinea and Cornus stolonifera/sericea) are among the easiest shrubs to root from cuttings. You shouldn't have any problem. We've planted loads of different ones, including the gorgeous Cornus sanguinea "Midwinter Fire" with yellow-orange-red stems, and a recent aquisition, labelled as just plain "Cornus stolonifera", which has lovely, shiny, plum-coloured stems and looks great with purple-leaf Bergenia at its base. The cuttings root readily. It's always worth trying.
Ornata