Old 16-02-2005, 12:15 PM
Doug Kanter

Please explain exactly how long it takes before a book becomes useless, in
your opinion. Also, explain WHY you believe this is so. Have jade plants
changed because of the advent of the interent?

"Cereus-validus....." wrote in message
m...
"Crockett's Indoor Garden"?!!!

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Crockett died a long time ago. It's time to let it go, Dude.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Charles Woolever" wrote in message
I have an old jade plant (age unknown) but from the size, I assume it's
fairly old.

The plant has always been in a southern window. I water it once every
few weeks. When I water it, I soak the soil but do not let it stand in
runoff water. It stays inside all year. I have no insect problems with
it.

Since last summer, the plant has started to droop. The plant itself is
in very good shape with no soft tissue and only an occasional leaf drop,
usually in the fall (I live in NY state).

Here is a URL showing the plant:

http://ny.existingstations.com/Jade/Jade.html

The plant is 4 feet across and 20" high from the top rim of the pot.
Before last summer, it never hung below the top rim of the pot and now
it hangs 14" below in some places. All the "trunks" used to stand up
straight and as you can see from the large horizontal trunk, they are
loosing that vertical stance. Maybe it's top heavy?

I'd like suggestions as to what, if anything is wrong, and what I should
do or if it should just be left this way.

Thanks for the help.

Charles

If the leaves have a red tinge around the edges, the plant's getting
enough light. Otherwise, it's not, and it'll tend to get leggy. Yours
appears to be in pretty good shape, but I wonder if it's getting
pot-bound. According to "Crockett's Indoor Garden", they'll survive
pot-bound for years, but not always thrive. Does the plant perk up at all
within a day of watering, or does it still droop? And, does the water
seem to pass through the pot more quickly than it used to?

I'd repot it (with someone else's help, to avoid snapping branches). Go
to a pot size that allows maybe 3" of extra soil in all directions, and
make sure it's a heavy pot, to provide some weight to counterbalance the
plant. Repotting can be done at any time of year. The plant should be fed
every 3-4 months. If you break off any stems during repotting, they can
be rooted to make new plants. If you can find rooting hormone powder,
it'll help.