Old 16-02-2005, 07:57 PM
John Bachman

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:43:46 -0600, "Steve"
wrote:

Thanks very much for the info. It sounds like my best approach is the
polyethylene tubing and various emitters.I know its going to vary based on #
of emitters, spacing, water pressure, etc. However, is there a general rule
of thumb to how long of a tubing run and how many emitters one should have
in a single run?

Are there any good online sources for purchasing the various components
and/or for reading up on the different components available? I've searched
and found many, many resources, but looking for a good starting point.

thanks!

"dps" wrote in message
Soaker hose comes in two types: a regular hose with holes poked into it
and a hose made from recycled tires that is moderately porous, so it
leaks everywhere. The first type will send small jets out either in one
direction or in all directions, depending on how the holes are punched.
These jets can create small erosion areas, but they're not generally
serious. The recycled tire type is good for soaking an area, but has a
finite lifetime of only a couple of years on the average. Being on the
surface, it gets chewed by rodents, particularly during times of drought.

If you're going to bury something, it might as well be more conventional
inground irrigation tubing. Home Depot carries it, as well as the
emitters, which range from sprays to rotary jets. You can also get drip
emitters which can be placed adjacent to each shrub, so you aren't
wasting water on the weeds in between. You can get really fancy and
install a timer valve to do it all automatically. However, this wastes
water since it waters on a schedule, not according to need.

While you're about it, it isn't that hard to install more outdoor
spigots unless your basement is completely finished and you don't want
to run pipes through it. Put in as many as you can. I generally double
them up, placing two spigots right next to each other. One can have a
hose permanently attached and the other can be used to fill a bucket.

The soaker hose is the easiest thing to do, but the permanent
installation is the longest lasting thing to do.

I have soaker hose that has been in the ground for 13 years with no
problems. It is the recycled tire type. I use it in rows of
raspberries and strawberrys where I really prefer a ground soaking
rather than a spray on the plants - that encourages fungal problems.

John