Old 17-02-2005, 01:05 AM
RichToyBox

Roy,

Read this link on Doc Johnson's web site,
http://www.koivet.com/html/articles/... rch_term=salt
where he discusses salt. I think that before any treatments are performed,
a microscopic examination needs to be performed to best know what treatment
should be used. Many of the treatments are expensive, especially when
treating a whole pond.

My arsenal for treatments includes salt, anchors away (for anchor worm and
fish lice), and supa-verm (for flukes). I occasionally use PP, mainly to
clean the water of organics. PP and formalin are both neutralized by
organics in the pond, so it is difficult to know whether you have used the
correct dosage. Formalin also requires a 50% water change, which is time
consuming. Doc Johnson, and others have published symptoms that will help
identify the problem, and help in determining which remedy is best, with
salt always being first.

Of course one of the best means of controlling parasites is to maintain
pristine water. The fish have lived with parasites since the beginning of
time and as long as they are not stressed by poor water quality, they should
be able to live with a moderate number in the pond. The thing with
parasites is that they seem to know when a fish is stressed, attack it
harder, possibly killing it, and multiplying out of control, so that they
can overtake the other fish in the pond.
--
RichToyBox

"Roy" wrote in message
On 15 Feb 2005 14:44:53 -0800, wrote:

===Start by adding non-iodized salt to the water. Dissolve 1#/100
gallons
===of water and add it gradually. Then go to AKCA-Koi USA to do some
===research. It is possible you need to add oxygen to the water. Good
luck.

Yea, salt, thats what you need, SALT the miracle cure and secret
fixall of Rec.ponders...I would use at least 100# per gal and do it
right! At that rate it matters not if its iodized or kosher!

REMEMBER: "This is worth repeating for benefit of al newbies!
Jo Ann asked Dr. Solo to remind people that while she has retired from
selling GF (and sold
the business to Ken Fischer
http://dandyorandas.com/) she has NOT retired
from
helping people with sick GF and koi FOR FREE. 251-649-4790 phoning is
best for
diagnosis. but, can try email put "help sick fish" in subject. Get your
fish at Dandy Orandas
Dandy Orandas Dandy Orandas........you guys got that DANDY ORANDAS