Old 17-02-2005, 05:21 AM
Travis

if you have to or just want to put this raised bed on a concete
base, you could place several lengths of the pipes used for septic
systems or french drains which are full of holes and wrap them in
construction cloth to keep soil from filtering into them and have
them come out from under the little wall you will build so the bed
can drain. Like ,space a bottom block so the pipe can peak out and
allow the water to drain out. Also to hold te soil in the bed if no
morter is used (I would not use any morter) you can line the bed
with builders construction costuction paper. I did this on y
terraces and it works quite well.

I bought some so-called top soil then ammended it heavily with
leaves and various soils from the local supplers and composted cow
pooh.

I had a retaining wall leaning back slighty on/into a sloped
embankment going from 1 cement block (8x8x16") to 6 high with only
gravity (their weight ) holding them and no problem for 20 years
and still counting.

good luck.--lee/leo

In most municipalities a block wall 6 high would require a building
permit.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5